This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rivers State, Nigeria (1967 - 1970)

Historical flag

Last modified: 2014-07-05 by bruce berry
Keywords: rivers state | nigeria | crocodile: 2 | eagle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Rivers State] image by Jens Pattke, 12 July 2006

See also:

Rivers State (1967-1970)

Rivers State is one of the 36 states in Nigeria. Its capital is Port Harcourt. The state is named after the many rivers that border its territory.  It was part of the Oil Rivers Protectorate from 1885 until 1893 when it became part of the Niger Coast Protectorate. In 1900 the region merged with the chartered territories of the Royal Niger Company to form the colony of Southern Nigeria.  The state was formed in 1967 following the division of the Eastern Region of Nigeria. Until 1996 the state contained the area which is now in the Bayelsa State.

Prior to 1970, all of the Nigerian states had their own coats of arms and flags. The state flag was modeled on the Nigerian national flag but with the state coat of arms in the centre of the white stripe.  These state flags were adopted in 1967 and abolished in 1970. Since 1970 only the Nigerian national coat of arms and national flag may be used as symbol of a state.  Source: Enzyklopädie der staatlichen Wappen und Flaggen (Encyclopaedia of  State Coat of Arms and State Flags), Volume 6.
Jens Pattke, 09 July 2006