Last modified: 2007-03-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: gradsko | sun (yellow) | railway |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Gradsko - Image by Mello Luchtenberg & António Martins, 8 November 2006
The municipality of Gradsko (3,760 inhabitants; 236.19 sq. km) is made
of the village of Gradsko and the settlements of Vodovrati, Viničani, Gorno Šiševo, Grnčište, Dvorište, Dolno Šiševo, Zgropolci, Kočilari, Kuridere, Nogaevci, Svekjani, Skačnici, Ubogo and Ulanci.
The village of Gradsko is built on the two banks of the river Vardar in a plain in central Macedonia; it is an important traffic and railway crossroads, significan not only at the Macedonian but also at the Balkanic level. Most of the villages live from agriculture (wine-growing and gardening); arable lands cover 7,000 ha. Cattle breeding is marginal because of the lack of pastures due to the sparse rainfall in the region.
The early settlement of Stobi, located 3 km east of the current village
of Gradsko, was destroyed by an earthquake in 518 BC. The site of
Stobi was discovered by the German explorer Halm (1850) and confirmed
by the French Hezé in 1860. Archeological excavations were made in
1924-1936; most findings are still kept in the Public Museum of
The locals abandoned the ruins and the village was later nicknamed Pust Grad (Deserted Town). This name was given to the new village, whose name was progressively changed to Gradsko by dropping Pust and adding the suffix -sko. The modern village of Gradsko was built in 1871-1873, under the Ottoman rule, during the construction of the Salonica-Skopje railway though the valley of Vardar. Since it was the only village in the region built from scratch around a railway station, Gradsko was nicknamed "The Child of the Railway".
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 8 November 2006
The municipal flag of Gradsko, as shown on the Macedonian Ministry of Local
Self-Government website (page no longer online), is in proportion 1:2, vertically divided red-yellow, with the municipal emblem in the middle.
The emblem shows on a white background a landscape with water, a railway, buildings and cereal spikes, lit by a yellow sun.
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2002