Last modified: 2007-06-30 by dov gutterman
Keywords: biq'at bet she'an | bet she'an | regional council | mo'atza ezorit biq'at bet she'an | text: hebrew (blue) | rectangle (blue) | column (blue) | pomegranate (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 30th October 1958
Regional Council Biq'at Bet She'an (meaning Bet She'an
Valley) is situated in the surroundings of the Municipality of Bet She'an, on eastern
Israel, along the Jordan River, south of Regional
Council of Emeq HaYarden and north of Regional
Council of Aravot HaYarden. It was established 1949 and has
11,500 inhabitants in 22 settlements. (...) The municipal emblem
was published in the official gazette (Rashumot, Yalkut
ha-Pirsumim), YP 631, 30 October 1958.
Dov Gutterman, 25 September 2001
Is that a pomegranate in the middle of the emblem? And what is
the watch tower on the left?
Santiago Dotor, 26 September 2001
It is a pomegranate. The Bible mentions seven species which
Israel was blessed with wheat, barley, vine, fig, grenade,
olive and palm - some of which appear in this emblem. As for the
tower, I guess it is a remembrance to the Wall and Tower
settlements of the British Mandate
Dov Gutterman, 26 September 2001
The unofficial flag is light blue with blue emblem.
Source: author's own observation, 2 October 2001.
Dov Gutterman, 7 October 2001
Regional Council Biq'at Bet She'an include 23 settlement (with
one more in process of establishment). The current are: Bet
Yosef, Gesher, Hanadiya, Tirat Tzvi, Yardena, Kfar Rupin, Meirav,
Malkishua, Mesilot, Ma'oz Haim, Ma'ale Gilboa, Neve Or, Neve
Eytan, Nir David, Ein HaNatziv, Revaya, Re'hov, Reshafim, Sde
Elyahu, Sde Nahum, Sdey Trumut, Shlu'hot and Tel Teomim. New
settlement (Michal) will probably be the 24th.
According to official site, the Regional Council was established in 1948 and 10 of its settlements were established as "Wall and Tower " settlements during the Mandate era.
Homa U'Migdal (Wall and Tower) is the nickname for an operation of founding 52 new settlements between 1936-1939. The first was Tel-Amal (later named Nir-David, today one of the settlements in the Regional Council of Biq'at Bet She'an). To prevent any British intervention, those settlements were built in top secrecy with all materials ready elsewhere. The establishment was done at one night and in the morning there was a wall and watchtower built on the site, hence this nickname.
Dov Gutterman, 9 April 2005