Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: spain | andalusia | malaga | moclinejo | coat of arms | tree: olive (green) | olive tree | grape vine (green) | arm: armored (white) | scimitar (white) | castle (golden) | crown: royal (closed) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Wikipedia Users: Nethunter and SanchoPanzaXXI, 18 Jul 2009
The municipality of Moclinejo (1,264 inhabitants in 2008; 1,500 ha) is located in the region of Axarquía, 25 km east of Málaga. Of Moorish origins, Moclinejo was listed under different names by the ancient chroniclers (Moclinetum, Mohinete, Modinete, Molinete, Molinillo...).
In 1482, the village castle, suppressed long ago, was involved in the attack launched by the Catholic Kings against Málaga, whose total failure is known as the "Axarquía rout." That year, King of Granada Mulay Hacen, expelled by his son Boabdil, moved to Málaga, where he encouraged the Moors from Málaga and Ronda to raid the neighbouring Christian territories. In March 1482, an assembly of knights, gathered at Antequera, decided to raid Málaga via Axarquía; on 19 March, 2,700 riders and 1,000 soldiers invaded the region. They found most villages deserted, the villagers having escaped and secured their goods in impregnable fortresses. Upset by the lack of booty, the Christians could only burn the villages and fields.
The villagers of Moclinejo organized the struggle from the heights, throwing big rocks and tree trunks down to the Christian invaders. Disorganized by this unexpected counter-attack and the uneven ground, the Christian troops could neither move forwards nor withdraw and were totally overwhelmed. The event, one of the worst Christian defeats in Andalusia, is recalled in the local toponymy by the "Hoya de los Muertos" (Grave of the Dead) and the "Cuesta de la Matanza" (Slope of the Slaughter).
The Moors of Moclinejo were submitted a few years later, Diego de Santiesteban being appointed governor of the fortress.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 18 Jan 2009
The flag and arms of Moclinejo were approved by the Municipal Council on 18 February 2005 and submitted on 24 February 2005 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 9 March 2005, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 59 on 28 March 2005.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Gules a castle or surmounted with an arm argent holding a scimitar of the same. Per fess or a vine and an olive tree all vert placed per pale. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed, of gold, made of jewels, eight arches of pearls, orb and cross in the upper part.
Flag: Rectangular flag in proportions 2:3 quartered yellow and red. Overall in the center of the panel, the municipal coat of arms.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA, No. 59, p. 93, 28 Mar 2005
Ivan Sache, 18 Jan 2009