This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bujalance (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-09-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: bujalance |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Bujalance - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 21 July 2009

See also:

Presentation of Bujalance

The municipality of Bujalance (7,941 inhabitants in 2008; 5,335 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km east of Córdoba.

Located in the fertile valley of Guadalquivir, also an important communication route, the territory of Bujalance was settled in the Roman times by several grain-producing estates (villae). The Moors built the fortress of Bury al-Hansh (The Serpent's Tower) to watch the old Roman road, used until the 13th century, and river to Córdoba; the Arab name gave the today's name of the town via Burialhanc, Burjalhance...
On 8 Juin 1597, Philip II granted the title of villa to Bujalance, a title which was upgraded to ciudad on 6 March 1630 by Philip IV.

Ivan Sache, 21 July 2009

Symbols of Bujalance

The flag and arms of Bujalance, adopted on 28 September 2005 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 4 October 2005 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 October 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 9 November 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 219, p. 32 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Panel in proportions 3:2, white. A ragully red St. Andrew's cross, not reaching the corners of the flag. In the center on the crossing of the cross' arms, the coat of arms of the municipality.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Gules a tower or, a bordure azure charged with seven towers or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open.

The big tower recalls the fortress erected in the town, while the seven smaller towers in the bordure recall the fortresses erected in neighbouring places.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba (PDF file)]

Ivan Sache, 21 July 2009