Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: castro de filabres | bicolor: horizontal (green-yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Castro de Filabres (160 inhabitants; 2,940 ha) is located in the Sierra de los Filabres, 50 km north of Almería.
In the 8th century, a group of Yarawa Berbers, expelled from Almería by the Arabs, set up a camp in the Sierra de los Filabres. Led by Queen al-Kahima, the Yarawas were romanized Christians, therefore the name of the village, from Latin "castrum," a camp. Leaving peacefully until the 12th century, the colonists were sent by King of Aragon Alfonso the Battler to resettle the reconquered valley of Ebro (1125). In the 10th century, the neighbouring village of Velefique welcomed a group of jarichíes, a Muslim sect persecuted in Córdoba. The Sufi saint Sidi Abu Ishaq Ibrahim ibn al-Hayy, born in Velefique, is said to have built the fortress defending his birth village and 20 mosques all over the Sierra, including in Castro de Filabres.
After the Christian reconquest, Castro de Filabres, together with Olula de Castro and Uleila del Campo, was granted in 1490 to the Duke of Infantado as a reward for his contribution to the reconquest. One century later, the village belonged to Enrique Enríquez, lord of the "State of Tahal," made of 14 villages, of which only eight were inhabited. A stronghold in the Morisco uprising, Castro de Filabres was resettled by Christian colonists in the late 16th century. Population slightly increased, reaching its peak (426 inhabitants) in the beginning of the 20th century and then constantly decreasing because of emigration to Almería, Catalonia, France and Germany.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009
The flag and arms of Castro de Filabres were approved by the Municipal Council on 24 September 2004 and submitted the same day to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 27 October 2004, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 217 on 8 November 2004.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Azure a Sierra [mount] vert with three peaks surmounted with a Roman stockade, with its watching tower, or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Flag: Panel in proportions 2/3, made of two equal horizontal stripes, the first green and the second yellow; overall, a fess wavy with proportions 1/7, countercoloured.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not appended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA, No. 217, p. 25,829, 08 Nov 2004
The coat of arms is shown on Wikipedia.
Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009