Last modified: 2011-02-25 by editor unassigned
Keywords: goettingen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 21 Dec 2007
Flag adopted 24 Oct 1973
Additions : 1973 Duderstadt, Münden
The old arms were granted on 25 October 1935.
The upper part of the arms shows the lion of the Welfen dynasty, Dukes of Brunswick. The largest part of the district was part of the main possession of the Welfen dynasty since the 13th century. The lower part shows the arms of the Counts of Plesse, who ruled the northern part of the district until 1571.
The new arms were granted on 8 November 1973.
The arms show in the upper part the Welfen lion, as a common symbol for all three former districts. The lower part shows the anchor from the old arms, combined with the small shield derived from the Münden arms, and the wheel from the Duderstadt arms.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Linder and Olzog, 1996
Source: Ralf Hartemink.