Last modified: 2011-12-02 by german editorial team
Keywords: gifhorn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Apr 2007
Flag adopted ?
The city is the capital of Gifhorn County.
Coat of Arms adopted: 1562
Flags adopted: ?
Source: Arnold Rabbow: "Neues Braunschweigisches Wappenbuch",Braunschweiger Zeitungsverlag, 2003
Jörg Majewski, 5 Apr 2007
From Ralf Hartemink's site: Gifhorn - Additions : 1974 Gamsen, Kästorf, Neubokel, Wilsche, Winkel
Gifhorn received town and market rights in 1275 from Duke Johann of Braunschweig-Lüneburg. Since the late 14th century the city used her own seals. All seals show the lion of the Welfen dynasty, to which the Dukes of Braunschweig belonged, as well as a canting horn. The colours are known since the 18th century and have not changed since.
Literature : Stadler 1970, p.42
Description of flag:
The ratio is given as 1:2. It was a blue over red horizontal bicolour. The information is confirmed by Stadler 1970, p.42.
Source:H.Ahrens "Hannoversche Landschafts-und Städtewappen", 1891, plate XX
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Nov 2011