Last modified: 2011-10-21 by rick wyatt
Keywords: rockledge | pennsylvania | montgomery county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 9 July 2009
Borough of Rockledge
The Borough of Rockledge is located in Eastern Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. It is nestled between the Fox Chase neighborhood of the City of Philadelphia, and Abington Township, Montgomery County. Located about 8 miles northeast from Philadelphia’s city center, the Borough sits on approximately 225 acres, with a current population of 2,600.
Frank Ames, 16 July 2009
Two adjoining Abington Township 50+ acre truck farms were sold to land development companies in the mid 1880’s, and sub-divided into building lots. Between 1884 and 1889 many of the lots were sold, and the Village of Rockledge came into existence. In 1892 most of the inhabitants of Rockledge, and a number of land owners around it, signed a petition seeking separation from the Township, in order to become an independent Borough. It was granted a charter of incorporation, as
a Montgomery County Borough, January 9, 1893.
Borough Council minutes from those early times, demonstrate that the new inhabitants of this village sought more public services from the local government, than the mostly agrarian Abington was willing to provide. In the early 1880’s Abington only offered a very small local one room school house. A better school, improved roads, street lighting, as well as police and fire protection, were all non-existent. At that time the area was a very bucolic neighborhood. The Township was unwilling to cater to a growing middle class coming from the city. Hence, this must have created the desire of these new suburbanites to seek self government separate from the very rural township.
Most of the new settlers in the 1880’s and onward, came from the City of Philadelphia, seeking a better life for their families, in a growing country setting. This new community offered train service to work places in Philadelphia, without the limitations of congested city life. This is still true today.
As is all too obvious, the Borough was named for “Ledges of Rock”. There has been a great deal of research done for written documentation of the exact original source of the name. However, as of July, 2009 none has surfaced for this writer. Not too far below the rich gardening soil is a huge thick layer of Wissahickon schist. The schist, when quarried yields a fine building stone.
Frank Ames, 16 July 2009