Last modified: 2007-07-14 by dov gutterman
Keywords: rehovot | rekhovot | iriyat rehovot | scroll (white) | text: hebrew (red) | text: english (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 16th April 1959
Rehovot (pronounced: Rekhovot) is situated in the
south shore plain, south to Nes Ziyyona.
Est. 1890 and got 85,000 inh. It is the home of the Witzman
Institute of Science, hence the microscope in the emblem. I
spotted a white flag with emblem and red inscription. The
municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot,
Yalkut HaPirsumim), YP 663, 16 April 1959.
Source: author's own observation, 29 September 2001.
Dov Gutterman, 8 October 2001
Rehovot name was taken from the bible (Genesis 26,22) and was
suggested by Isreal Belkind (the designer of Rishon LeZiyyon Flag (1885)). When
established in 1890, the founders decided not to be under the
patronage of Baron Rotschield (almost the only colony that did
so). In 1908 the founders gave a vineyard to a group of new
immigrants from Yemen which resulted the establishment of
Sha'arayyim. (unofficially part of the city since 1920,
officially since 1944). Other communities also incorporated into
the city such as Zarnuga (Est. 1951 annexed 1954, renamesd in
1970 as Qiryat Moshe), Kefar Gavirol (Est. 1952 annexed 1954) and
Kefar Marmurek (Est. 1929 as a Moshav, annexed 1956).
Rehovot became a center of scientific research. The Agriculture Research Center was moved to Rehovot in 1920, the Ziv Scientific Research Institute (today Weitzman Institute) was founded by Prof. Haim Weitzman, Israel first
president, in 1934, and the Agriculture Studies Institute (Today Hebrew University's Faculty of Agriculture) in 1942.
Rehovot became municipality in 1950, today with population of 103,000 (2003)
The emblem is described on both the municipal and heritage websites as follows:
"The oranges represent its being a city of citrus plants.
The Microscope represent its being a city of science.
The book represent the importance of education and scholarship in the city."
The emblem appeared on a stamp issued on 6 May 1970.
Dov Gutterman, 5 May 2005
image from municipal website