Last modified: 2011-06-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: pecheries de l'ocean | letter: p (blue) | letter: o (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Pêcheries de l'Océan - Image by Ivan Sache, 10 April 2008
Pêcheries de l'Océan was a French fishing company, based in Arcachon.
The fishing port of Arcachon was in the past one of the most innovative ones in France. The port saw in 1837 the first steam trawler in the world. There were three main fishing companies in Arcachon at the end of the XIXth century, the Pêcheries de l'Océan, founded in 1866, the Pêcheries Cameleyre Frères and the Société Nouvelle des Pêcheries à Vapeur, both founded a few years later. These companies operated steam trawlers, which needed coal, not available locally. Therefore, a regular cargo line was opened between Arcachon and England: the ships left Arcachon with a cargo of pine trunks, used as pillars in the English coal mines, and came back with a cargo of coal. The pines came from the neighbouring forest of Landes.
Pêcheries de l'Océan is listed in Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels of the principal steamship lines of the world and the house flags of various lines of sailing vessels, published at Lloyd's Royal Exchange. London. E.C. (1912) [LLo12], also available online thanks to the Mystic Seaport Foundation, #684, p. 89, as the Société immobilière du Moulleau et
des Pêcheries de l'Océan. Le Moulleau is the westernmost borough of the town of Arcachon, otherwise made of the four summer, autumn,winter and spring "towns" (indeed boroughs).
Once a small fisher's hamlet with a chapel built by Dominicans monk, Le Moulleau experienced a limited "urban" increase in the 1860. From 1897 onwards, the Société immobilière du Moulleau (Moulleau Real Estate Company), with the Mayor of Arcachon, James Veryrier- Montagnères, as a main shareholder, sold big plots on which wealthy villas and a brand new hotel were built. Le Moulleau became a favoured place for aristocrats, who had "to be seen" in Le Moulleau.
According to René Pérotin (Le chalutage à vapeur à Arcachon, 1911), the Pêcheries de l'Océan were founded in 1865 by H. Johnston and operated the first steam trawler ever, the Cormoran. The operation of steam trawlers required huge quantities of coals, which was stored on old sailing boats. Pêcheries de l'Océan used for that purpose the three-master Jeanne-d'Arc from 1931 to 1948.
Ivan Sache, 10 March 2008
The house flag of Pêcheries de l'Océan, as shown in Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels of the principal steamship lines of the world and the house flags of various lines of sailing vessels (op. cit.), is white with a red (top and left sides) and blue (right and bottom sides) border and the letters "P." (blue) and "O." (red) in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 10 March 2008