This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Přelouč (Czech Republic)
Pardubice okres, Pardubice region
Last modified: 2012-03-31 by andrew weeks
Keywords: prelouc |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 2 May 2001
adopted 12 Mar 1992
Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1991-1994)
- Přelouc, Pardubice district, Pardubice region - adopted 12 Mar 1992
The town of Přelouc is situated in eastern Polabi. It is a part of
the district Pardubice, situated nearly in the middle of the east Bohemian
region. Přelouc lies on the shore of Labe (Elbe), the height over
sea is 220 m. Přelouc has 9,800 inhabitants and its area is 30.5 km2. Přelouč
is one of the oldest historically documented places of the region. Just
in 1086 it has been documented as a part of a Benedictian cloister possessive
foundation. On the request of the abbot of this cloister, King Přemysl
Otakar II gave to the community the town-privilege in September 8th 1261.
It seemed, that from this time Přelouc was using the black fire grate in
a golden field as its emblem, as attribute of St. Vavrinec, the patron
of this cloister. The same emblem is also on the sealing stick of the town,
documented however later, in the mid 16th century. In 1580, the emperor
Rudolf II advanced the town to a king's cammeral town. Owing to its advantageous
position at the railway Praha - Olomouc, Přelouc became a very important
economic centre in the second half of the 19th century and until 1960 it
had the statute of a district town.
Source: this webpage.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Sep 2001
Přelouč Coat of Arms
image from this webpage.