Last modified: 2012-01-20 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
"Colegio del Sacrado Corazón" (of the Sacred Heart)
was founded in Baranquilla in 1956. The different sections of the
institute were progressively recognized by the Ministry of
National Education. All the relevant Decrees were superseded on
25 November 1978 by Decree No. 17518 recognizing all the sections
of the institute
The flag of the institute, according to photos and the description available on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided red-white-red.
Red represents the love burning in the sacred heart of Jesus. White represents the purity of the Christian doctrine.
Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
The flag of the College is white with two red triangles in the
upper left and lower right corners. Red represents the Sacred
Heart of Jesus.
Source: <www.voluntad.com.co>, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010
Colegio Sagrado Corazón de Jesús de La Salle, located in San José de Cúcuta,
Department of Norte de Santander, was founded on 3 June 1903 by Father Pablo
Alegria. The institute is managed by the Brothers of the Christian Schools,
founded by St. Jean-Baptiste de La Salle.
The flag of Colegio Sagrado Corazón de Jesús de La Salle, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided yellow-olive green. Yellow represents light and wisdom. Olive green represents hope. The same colors are used on the institute's coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
"Institución Educativa 'San Antonio de Padua' "
(IESAP) was founded in 1906 by Próspero Restrepo at Támesis,
Department of Antioquia. Originally named "Colegio de San
Antonio", the institute was successively renamed "Liceo
Alejandro Próspero Reverend" (1952), "Liceo Regional
Alejandro Próspero Reverend" (1961) and "Liceo
Regional Rafael J. Méjía" (Decree No. 1415, 28 September
1966). IESAP was officially founded on 7 February 2003 (Decree
No. 865) as the merger of "Liceo Regional Rafael J.
Méjía", "Escuela Eladia Mejía González" and
"Preescolar Mis Amiguitos".
The flag of IESAP, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided green-blue-red with awhite triangle placed along the hoist.
It was presented, together with the emblem of the institute, during the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the institute, held on 14 August 2006.
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 30 October 2011
"Institucion Educativa Distrital San Agustin" was founded in 1970 in Bogotá.
The flag of the institute is diagonally divided blue-white-red with the institution's emblem in the middle.
Blue symbolizes intelligence, truth and knowledge. White symbolizes aspiration to peace and social development. Red symbolizes passion, love, action and triumph.
The emblem was selected in a contest opened to students and professors in art. The emblem is horizontally divided yellow-red with an eight-pointed star all over; the rays of the star are countercolored. The ray pointing to the north is charged with an open black book charged with the white letters "SA" (for "San Agustin"), while the ray pointing to the south is charged with the black symbol of atomic physics (a black nucleus surrounded by three black ellipses representing electron's orbits). The ray pointing to the west is charged with a black G-clef, while the ray pointing to the east is charged with the Olympic rings.
In the middle of the sun is a yellow disk, separated from the rays by blue pentagons. The disk is charged with a light blue crescent and a girl and a boy wearing the uniform of the institute. The emblem is surrounded by a blue ring charged with the name of the institute, written in white capital letters.
Ivan Sache, 30 October 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Colegio San Bartolomé" is located in San José de
Cúcuta (Cúcuta Department).
The flag of the institute, as shown on the institute's blog, is horizontally divided blue-white-red.
Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 6 February 2010
Flag of Universidad de San Buenaventura is based on <www.usb.edu.co>.
Dov Gutterman, 3 June 2001
The flag is horizontally divided orange-black. The website
says that orange stands for youth, creativeness and intelligence,
and black for sobriety, rigour and academic excellence.
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2001
Colegio de San Buenaventura was founded at the end of the 17th
century in Santa Fé de Bogotá by the Franciscan Order; on 5
November 1861, Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera ordered the
suppression of all the religious communities from the national
territory and closed the old college. Universidad de San
Buenaventura (USB) was refounded on 14 June 1961 in Bogotá (main
seat), sections being subsequently founded in Medellín (1966),
Cali (1970) and Cartagena (1994).
Source: USB website.
Photos of the flag: Bogotá - USB main seat, Medellín section, Cartagena section (Album "Auditorio", picture #10 and last).
The university's website shows a drawing of the flag charged with the university's seal in the middle, which is not supported either by the description of the flag or photographical evidence.
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 16 December 2008
"Colegio Campestre San Diego" was founded in Chia on
12 February 1994, succeeding the "Liceo San Diego" of
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the institute's website, is dark red with two right-angle triangles placed along the hoist and a blue Greek letter "alpha" near the hoist. The triangles form a wide perspective on which is projected the "alpha" symbol.
The colours suggest that the power of love (red wine red) and the depth of life, shown in the sky and the sea (blue), converge at the infinite and feed the permanent retroalimentation of hope and empathy with the natural environment (green).
Ivan Sache, 16 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
The St. Francis of Assisi Royal College was founded in 1662, as part of the
Popayán Seminary, founded by the Jesuit father Francisco Fuentes, the Dean
Francisco Vélez de Zúñiga and the Bishop of Popayán Francisco de la Serna y
Rimaga Salazar, and officially approved on 4 October 1643 by King of Spain
Philip IV. After the expelling of the Jesuits by Charles III in 1767, the
institute was managed for a few years by the Dominicans, the Jesuits being
reinstated in 1783 and expelled again in 1850 by General Tomás Cipriano de
Mosquera's government. In 1869, the Bishop Carlos Bermúdez decided to reorganize
the Seminary and obtained from Pope Pius IX its allocation to the Lazarists. On
2 February 1881, Fathers Gustavo Foing and Juan Bautista Rieux arrived in
Popayán; the Lazarists would manage the Seminary until 1942, when the Seminary
and the College were separated. The college was renamed Colegio de Nuestra
Señora del Pilar, eventually closed in 1953. In April 1963, the St. Francis of
Assisi Royal College was restored by the Association of the Ex-Alumni of the
college, that granted its management to the (Lazarist) Congregation of the
The flag of Real Colegio San Francisco de Asís, as shown on the institute's website, is horizontally divided white-red. White represents purity, dignity, justice, zeal, truth, perseverance, gratitude, kindness, good faith, joy and peace. Found in the highest points of the natural environment, on top of the mountains and in the clouds, it symbolizes high aspirations and noble ideas. Red is the color of sacrifice, blood and life, heroism, patriotism and courage.
The flag should be used in all ceremonies held in the institute, together with the national, departmental (Cauca) and municipal (Popayán) flags, and placed on the honor place, left.
Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
"Institución Educativo Distrital San Francisco I La
Casona" was founded 36 years ago in Bogotá.
The flag of the institute, according to a photo available on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-yellow-green (1:2:1) with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The emblem of the institute was designed by Ferney Peña in 2005.
Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
image by Eugene Ipavec, 3 February 2009
image by Eugene Ipavec, 3 February 2009
Colegio San José de Las Vegas (Las Vegas' St. Joseph School)
is located in Medellin, in an avenue called Las Vegas, hence its
The flag is based on image from an álbum of alumni on Facebook called "LAS VEGAS ´98 MEDELLIN".
Tha flag is described (in Spanish) at <www.sanjosevegas.edu.co>.
E.R., 3 February 2009
The description and symbolics seem to indicate horizontal
stripes instead of vertical:
"The flag is made of three horizontal stripes blue, white, and blue with the shield of the institute in the middle.
Blue symbolizes the highness and depth of the institute's philosophy.
While represents the commitment to be authentic and accurate. White, between the blue of the sky and the blue of the sea, represents the human being between highness and depth.
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 13 April 2009
"Colegio San Juan Bautista de la Salle" is the
successor of "Colegio San Luis Gonzaga", founded on 23
January 1887 at Zipaquíra, Department of
Cundinamarca, by parish priest Uldarico Camacho.
The flag of the institute, as shown on several colour photos, is vertically divided yellow-blue-green. It is also shown graphically and described on the institute's website.
Yellow symbolizes the resources provided by the Lasallist education.
Blue symbolizes the depth and transcendance of the education.
Green represents the hope for the Colombian society provided by the education.
Ivan Sache, 13 April 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 11 November 2010
Institución Educativa Municipal San Juan Bosco, located in Pasto (Department
of Nariño), was founded on 17 October 1935.
The flag of Institución Educativa Municipal San Juan Bosco, as shown graphically on the institute's blog, is horizontally divided blue-white. Blue represents the horizon and is the Marian color; it represents also life and respect for water, to be valued and preserved. White represents peace, the possibility of writing history through discussion of all our opinions in search of the truth.
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 15 December 2008
"Collegio San Juan del Camino" was founded in
Bogotá in 1980 by Martha and María del Rosario Bermúdez.
The flag of the institute, shown as a graphic and described on the institute's website, is horizontally divided blue-red-blue with the coat of arms of the institute in the middle.
The coat of arms of the institute, shown as a graphic and described on the institute's website, uses the colours of the institute, with the following meaning:
- Yellow: God's light, the power and brightness of knowledge
- Blue; Equity and peace - Green: Natural environment
- Red: Vitality and energy
- White: Transparency
- Black: Depth and correctness
The name of the institute is written in yellow capital letters on the green border, itself outlined in blue, of the shield.
Three green diagonal stripes placed in the two upper corners represent the steps to climb to reach his own objectives.
In the middle of the shield, a dove placed on a yellow sun represents the aspiration to higher ideals, lit by God's light.
Two green stripes placed on the sides of the shield represents the ecological equilibrium, the fundamental role of the natural environment in the human development and the progress of the spirit of the students.
The two interlaced hearts placed in the point of the shield symbolize the compromise to be found with Colombia.
Ivan Sache, 15 December 2008
"Colegio de San Luis Gonzaga " was founded on 1
October 1897 in Cali by the Marist Friar Adelber.
Marist friars, of French origin, settled in Popayán in 1889 and in Cali in 1891, where they were confered the management of "Colegio Santa Librada", originally founded in 1823 by General Santander. The Congregation of the Marist Brothers was founded in 1817 by St. Marcellin Champagnat (1789-1840).
The flag of the institute, according to a photo and the description given on the website of the institute, was designed in May 1945 by student Pablo Marulanda, winner of the flag competition organized by the Center for Social Sciences of the institute.
The flag is horizontally divided blue-white-yellow with the emblem of the institute overall.
Blue represents the spiritual and Marian dimensions of the studies.
White represents ethics and values.
Yellow represents commitment to work and effort for the collective welfare.
The emblem represented on the flag does not seem to be strictly equivalent of the current official emblem of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
"Colegio San Luis Gonzaga" was founded on 8 February 1954 by the Society of
Jesus in Manizales (Caldas Department) and officially approved on 1 October
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the institute's website, is diagonally divided (per bend) white-light blue-yellow.
White represents the eternal snows of Nevado del Ruiz [the volcano of 5,321 m in elevation, located south-east of Manizales, whose eruption suppressed the town of Armero in 1985, claiming 24,000 lives]. Blue represents the limpid sky over the town. Yellow represents the wealth provided by coffee.
Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
"Colegio San Luis Rey" was founded in 1957 in the
Franciscan Convent of San Francisco of Armenia, Department of
Caldas; the institute was inaugurated on 12 February 1957 in a
mass celebrated by Father Gustavo Estrada, Superior of the
convent, and first recognized by the Department of Caldas on 4
March 1957 (Decree No. 407). The institute moved to its today's
location in 1974.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-yellow.
Blue represents heavens and highness while yellow represents the sun and excellence.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 11 January 2009
"Colegio Agustiniano de San Nicolás" is located in
The flag of the college, as graphically shown and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided red-blue. Red is the symbol of a proud, chast and valiant youth, also eager of science and virtue. Blue is the symbol of the Augustinian mind, oriented by infinite horizons.
Ivan Sache, 11 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
"Colegio San Pablo" was founded on 31 March 1989 by Emiliano de Jesus
Velásquez Rivera and Luis Alberto Escobar Bejarano in (Guadalajara de) Buga
The flag of the institute is shown graphically on the institute's website as horizontally divided white-blue-red. White represents purity, science and dignity. Blue represents the sky, fraternity and love.Red represents the blood shed by Apostle St. Paul ("San Pablo") for the evangelization of the pagan world.
Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Téchnica San Pablo" (INETSAP) was founded on 28
November 2002 in Polonuevo (Atlántico Department) by Departmental
Decree No. 911, merging several institutes, including "Colegio de
Bachillerato San Pablo", originally founded on 1 December 1961.
The flag of INETSAP is presented on the institute's website as horizontally divided red-green. Designed in 1968 by Baltazara Amador de Domínguez, the flag uses the colors of St. Paul ("San Pablo")'s clothes.
Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
"Colegio San Patricio" was founded in 1959 in
Bogotá by Emma Gaviria de Uribe, as "St. Patrick
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is green with a thin vertical white line near the fly and two thin horizontal white lines near the bottom, and, in the middle, a green clover leaf oultined in light green, charged with the white letters "CSP" and placed on a white disk. The flag was designed by educators of the institute.
The clover was used by St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, to explain the mystery of the Holy Trinity.
Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
"Colegio San Pedro" is located in the municipality of Madrid, Cundinamarca
Department. The institute originates in "Escuela Agrícola de San Pedro", founded
in 1937 by Ruperto, Dolores and Rosa Elvira Melo Torres on their estate named
"La Hélida". The institute was then aimed at providing education to the
farmers' sons so that they could subsequently manage their own estates.
The Melo family subsequently donated the institute to the Tertiary Capuchins, a congregation founded in 1889 by Luis Amigó Ferrer and active in Colombia since 1905.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided blue-white-red.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
"Colegio San Pedro Claver" is located in the Kennedy
borough, Bogotá. The institute is named after the Spanish Jesuit
St. Peter Claver (1580-1654, canonized on 15 September 1888), the
patron saint of slaves, of Colombia and of African Americans.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white-red with three white stars oulined in black in the white stripe.
Blue represents humility and tolerance.
White represents inner and outer peace.
Red represents enthousiasm to teach and to be tought.
Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
"Colegio Seminario San Pio X", located at
Floridablanca (Department of Santander), was recognized on 2
February 1954 by the Archbishop of Bucaramanga (Decree No. 007).
The institute is named after Pope Pius X (1835-1914, Pope in
1903, canonized in 1954).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is vertically divided green-white-red. Green represents hope; white represents purity, innocence, holliness, joy, grace and glory; red represents fire, love and sacrifice.
The description of the flag does not mention the emblem of the institute, shown in the middle of the flag on the drawing. However, the neighbouring photo of the emblem shows it inscribed in a blue ring with the name of the institute, which is lacking on the drawing.
Two photos (here and here), taken during the flag ceremony and inside the main hall of the institute, respectively, confirms that the flag bears the emblem in the middle, inscribed in a blue ring.
The emblem of the institute is green with a red triangle pointing downwards. The green lateral triangles are charged with a white chalice and host, representing the Eucharist, and a white fleur-de- lis, representing commitment to the community, respectively. The red triangle is charged with a white palm tree, recalled by the Latin motto placed in a white scroll below the shield, "Sicut palma florebit", "It will flourish like a palm tree". The motto recalls Psalm 92:12, "Justus sicut palma florebit, sicut cedrus in Libano crescet" ("The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar in Lebanon". The whole is inscribed in a blue ring charged with the white writing "SEMINARIO SAN PIO X" (top) / "FLORIDABLANCA" (bottom).
Ivan Sache, 13 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
"Colegio San Sebastian" was founded at Cali in 1994
by Liliana Osorio Garcia.
The flag of the institute, as described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white.
Blue represents represents the immensity of the sky and of the sea.
White represents transparency and freshness, as well as intellectual and spiritual resources.
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
"Colegio San Simón" was founded at Ibagué,
Department of Tolima, on 21 December 1822 (Decree of the
Executive No. 86-5), reorganized on 30 March 1837 (Presidential
Decree) and reestablished in 1887 (Law No. 12). Its legal status
was eventually confirmed by the State Council on 8 October 1942.
Originally housed in a former Dominican convent built in 1722,
the institute moved to its modern seat in 1948. In 2002, it
merged with three other institutes to form "Institución
Educativa Colegio de San Simón".
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on Cesar David Gastelbondo Calderón's blog, is horizontally divided white-green.
Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
Colegio San Tarsicio, located in Bogotá, was founded on 13 February 1961 by
Ernesto Solano and Cecilia Restrepo de Carrizosa. The institute is named for the
early Christian martyr St. Tarcisius (3rd century, only known to us by a poem
written by Pope Damasus I).
The symbols of Colegio San Tarsicio are described in the institute's "Proyecto Educativo Institucional" (PEI - Institutional Education Project), as follows:
Chapter 1. Fundamental principles.
The flag of the institute is based on the papal flag, whose colors are white and yellow. White means clarity, limpidity, truth; this color, which assimilates and reflects all the other ones, which is the color of the host, and which symbolizes the Eucharist, shall be placed above everything. Dark [lit. "burned"] yellow means life, sun, force, power, energy, maturity, harvest. These two stripes, white and yellow, are separated by a coffee brown stripe symbolizing the soil, the space where we live, our universe; on the white stripe in the left part, the institute's coat of arms, which is made with the same three colors.
1.8.4. Coat of arms.
Inspired by a German stamp representing St. Tarcisio, designed by the noted religious artist K. Beuron. With a triangular shape and symbolizing the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In the triangle: the chalice and the Saint Host surrounded by rays. In the middle, the letters [chrism] meaning "Jesus, Hostia Santa". In the base "San Tarsicio": Martyr of the Eucharist.
Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010