Last modified: 2011-11-27 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
"Institución Educativa 'Ramón Giraldo Ceballos'"
was founded in Medellín in 2002 (Decree No. 16,386), as the
merging of "Escuela Urbana de Varones 'Ramón Giraldo
Ceballos'" and "Escuela Urbana de Niñas 'Ramón
Giraldo Ceballos'", both founded on 30 December 1968 (Decree
No. 033) on plots offerred by Ramón Giraldo Ceballos.
The flag of the institute is described on the website of the institute as made of two white and blue stripes of equal size and a handshake.
White represents purity, peace and love, the values promoted by the institute.
Blue represents the greatness of the mind in search of God.
The handshake represents solidarity, fraternity, help, cooperation and friendship.
Ivan Sache, 12 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
"Corporación Universitaria Remington" was founded
in Medellín in 1915 by Gustavo Vásquez Betancourt (d. 1967), as
"Organización Educativa Remington". The university was
approved by the Ministry of National Education on 21 June 1996
(Decree No. 2661).
The flag of the university, as shown graphically on the university website, is vertically divided blue-red with the university emblem in the middle, reaching the horizontal edges of the flag.
The seal-shaped emblem of the university shows a white "R" for "Remington" and the foundation year, 1915, on a background filled with two basic, opposed colours. Red represents the warm passion required to teach and learn while blue represents the cold reason required for knowledge. The rim of the seal is white, a neutral colour, bearing the motto of the university, "Poder estudiar, poder trabajar" ("To study, to work"), and two fleurs-de-lis representing the historic victory of knowledge.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
Colegio Renán Barco, located in La Dorada (Department of Caldas), started as
Escuela Concentración Las Ferias, indeed a satellite of Colegio de Nuestra
Señora del Carmen. The institute became independent under its present name on 13
October 1994 (Decree No. 7838). On 13 February 2003 (Decree No. 191), Escuela
Concentración Las Ferias was incorporated into the institute. The institute is
named for the lawyer, economist and Liberal politician Víctor Renán Barco López
(1928-2009), Representative of Caldas (1968-1970) and Senator (1998-2009).
The symbols of Colegio Renán Barco are presented in the Decree of 21 April 1994 giving the results of the contest for the institute's coat of arms, flag and anthem. Selected among 20 proposals, the flag, designed by María Alejandra Teuta Castañeda is horizontally divided white-yellow by a green triangle covering the whole width of the flag, pointing from the fly to the mid hoist. White represents purity, sincerity, transparency, honesty, solidarity, beauty and ardor. Yellow represents knowledge, thinking skills of the alumni, wealth and illusion that each day will be better. Green represents hope that there will always be a better morning to be aspired and struggled for with tenacity and enthusiasm.
Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
"Colegio 'Restrepo Millán'" was created in Bogotá
by National Decree No. 2940 on 24 November 1961 and approved by
the Ministry of National Education on 24 November 1962 (Decree
No. 4738); classes had already started on 5 April 1962. The
institute is named after the noted educator José María Restrepo
The flag of the institute, according to a photo shown on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-green with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The symbols shown on PDF files available on the website of the institute are quite different: - the flag is horizontally divided green-white, without the emblem; - the emblem seems to have different colours, for instance blue instead of green in its upper part.
Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
"Colegio Cooperativo 'Reyes Patria'" was founded by
priests of Sogamoso, Department of Boyacá, with permission of
the Bishop of Duitama, His Grace Julio Franco Arango, granted on
21 December 1965. The institute is named after General Juan José
Reyes Patria, who took part to the War of the Supremes
(1839-1841), a rebellion of military regional leaders,
self-styled supreme heads, against President of the Republic of
the New Granada José Ignacio de Márquez.
The flag of the institute, according to a photo and the description available on the website of the institute, is white and apple green with the emblem of the institute in the middle. The exact arrangement of the two colours cannot be ascertained from the photo.
White represents peace as well as individual and social harmony, while apple green represents the kindness of the cooperative sector.
The emblem of the institute represents its philosophy, focused on education through knowledge and increase of its values, always supported by the cooperative spirit.
Ivan Sache, 12 January 2009
"Institución Educativa Rioloro" was founded in 1926
in Rioloro, Municipality of Gigante, Department of Huila.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the blog of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white-green. The respective proportions of the stripes cannot be derived accurately from the drawing.
Blue represents knowledge.
White represents honesty, transparency, joy and peace.
Green is a tribute to work, to the creative power of letters, art and land cultivation, and to hope in a better future.
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior de Río de Oro" is located in Río de Oro
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the institute's blog, is horizontally divided white-green. The flag is a symbol of science and virtue. White represents the way to reach peace. Green means the hope in the set up of men and women committed to the service of the society.
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 19 December 2008
"Instituto de Educación Técnica Profesional de
Roldanillo" (INTEP) was created on 17 May 1979 (Decree No.
1093) in Roldanillo as "Instituto de Educación
Intermedia Profesional de Roldanillo". The institute was
reorganized and renamed "Instituto de Educación Técnica
Profesional de Roldanillo" on 26 April 1988 (Decree No. 758)
and its general statutes were approved by the Ministry of
National Education on 15 May 1989 (Decree No. 1027).
The flag of INTEP is shown graphically and described on the INTEP website.
The flag is vertically divided yellow-white-blue with the emblem of INTEP in the middle, in dimensions 1.20 m x 1.50 m (that is, with proportions 4:5).
Yellow is the colour of the nobleness and high value of knowledge, and of the joy and honour characterizing all the working activities in the institute.
White is the colour of light and the greatest symbol of union, purity and nobleness confered by study.
Blue is the colour of the sky over Roldanillo, and, more generally the colour of heavens once clouds have dispersed; it represents truth, justice, the deep gentleness of the university members and loyalty to the spiritual values.
Placed on the symbolically strong white colour, the emblem of INTEP unites the meanings of the yellow and blue colours.
The vertical display of the colours represent the continuous increase of knowledge towards excellence. It also expresses the infinite and the possible movement. The colours are arranged to match the physiologic mechanism of visual perception.
Yellow, a warm colour, is placed in the left visual field and is interpreted by the brain right hemisphere, in relation to sensibility, imagniation, intuition and creativity.
Blue, a cold colour, is placed in the right visual field and is interpreted by the brain left hemisphere, in relation to intelligence, rationality, science and language.
The vertical stripes are arranged according to an horizontal gradient of colour temperature, from the warm yellow to the cold blue, mitigated by the quite cold and still white. This colour display is harmonic and balanced, both in time and space.
The emblem of INTEP is made of a shield surrounded by an elliptic border.
The elliptic border is ornamental but mandatory, with a ratio of 6:5 between its greater and smaller axes. It represents the trajectory of a celeste body moving around another on an orbit prescribed by the Law of universal gravitation.
In the lower focus of the elliptic shield is placed the shaft and capital of a Doric column. The lower part of the shaft is charged with a scroll bearing the motto ot INTEP and its Latin translation. A woman and a man stand on the column, rising their arms to support the globe placed in the upper focus of the ellipse. The column symbolizes the support and cohesion provided by the past and shared traditions to people, represented by a pair in a creative function, aimed at the free research of inner and outer knowledge.
The central elements are surrounded by two golden branches of olive symbolizing peace and the commitment of INTEP to keep and preserve the natural environment with the help of science and progress.
Yellow, used in the outline of the outer ellipse, in the olive branches and in the scroll, represents the sun as a source of vitality, loyalty to the commitments, the nobleness and high value of knowledge, and the joy and honour characterizing all the working activities in the institute.
Blue, used in the central figures, in the globe and the column, is the colour of the sky over Roldanillo, and, more generally the colour of heavens once clouds have dispersed; it represents truth, justice, the deep gentleness of the university members and loyalty to the spiritual values.
The motto is written on the scroll in relief, with letters outlined in black, representing prudence, shyness and honesty. The background of the shield is white, the colour of light and the greatest symbol of union, purity and nobleness confered by study.
Ivan Sache, 19 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 8 February 2009
"Institución Educativa de Rozo" was founded in the
"corregimiento" of Rozo, Municipality of Palmira,
Department of Valle del Cauca, on 26 September 1979 (Decree No.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-green with a thin golden border all around. The drawing shows the flag tied to a staff with a peak-shaped finial and two golden tassels.
The flag was designed by María Mabel Castillo, current Director of the institute. Green represents the natural environment of Rozo, agriculture as the main source of income and the aspiration to a better future. White represents purity, peace and liberty provided in the institute. The golden border represents God's light guiding us every day.
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2009