Last modified: 2012-01-20 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 January 2009
"Colegio Calasanz Bogotá" (CCB), founded on 21
March 1949 in Bogotá, was the first Piarist foundation in
Colombia. The order was founded in the 17th century by St. Joseph
Calasanz (1557-1648), who was declared "Universal Patron of
all the Christian popular schools in the world" by Pope Pius
XII in 1948. Calasanz founded in 1597 the first free school in
Europe, and, in 1617 the "Pauline Congregation of Poor
Cleric Regulars of the Mother of God of the Pious Schools"
(named after Pope Paul V, who had approved it), which was
elevated to a religious order in 1621 by Pope Gregory XV. The
Piarists are known as "Escolapios" in some parts of
South America, including Colombia. See: <escolapios.org.co>.
The flag of CCB, according to a photo and the description available on the CCB website, is horizontally divided green-white-green with the Piarist emblem in the middle.
Green represents the earth and our worldly history. White represents the celeste light and eternal life. The combination of the two colours represents the Piarist educationalist ideal, to reach God through the human life considered with radicality. The flag represents, therefore, the two Piarist educationalist principles, piety and literature, or, God's light and the human science's light.
The Piarist emblem is made of a yellow sun with the anagram of the name of the Blessed Virgin in the middle and four Greek letters (mu, pi, thêta, gamma) standing for "Maria, Mother of God". The emblem means that the Blessed Virgin is the shield and protection of the students, whose way is enlightened by Jesus, light of the world.
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior de Caldas" was founded on 26 January 2010 by
Departmental Decree No. 86 in Manizales (Caldas Department),
as "Escuela Normal Nacional de Señoritas".
The flag of the institute, as shown and described on the institute's blog, is horizontally divided green-white. In the middle of the flag is placed the emblem of the institute. Green represent high aspirations and the ideal of Jesus. White represents a fair and pacific society and the purity of the heart.
The emblem is based on the coat of arms of Manizales. The pink triangle symbolizes the commitment to education required from the teachers; the triangle is charged with the letters "ENSC". The three capitals of Greek style, on a golden (ochre yellow) background support the teaching activity. The coffee branches represent the region's economy and culture. The wheat seeds, as said in the anthem, are seeds of goodness and love. The triangle in the base of the shield is charged with a book showing artistic symbols, expressing the emphasis of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 01 November 2011
Instituto Tecnológico Superior de Caldas (ITEC) is based in Manizales, Caldas
The flag of the institute, as used during the schools' parade held on 7 August 2000 in Manizales, is horizontally divided green-white.
- Identification of ITEC
Ivan Sache, 01 November 2011
image by Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez, 14 November 2004
Instituto Universitario de Caldas (Manizales, Caldas).
Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez, 14 November 2004
The University of Caldas, founded in Manizales on 24 May 1943,
is made of the Faculties of Agronomic Sciences, Law and Social
Sciences, Exact and Nature Sciences, Health Sciences,
Engineering, and Arts and Humanities.
The flag of the university, as shown graphically and described on the university website, is blue with the emblem of the university in the middle.
The institutional colours are associated with thought, as the quality and luminosity of gold and the deepness, seriousness and solemnity of blue. The contrast and the location of the emblem in the middle of the flag increases the meaning of the colours, offering a both classical and stunning picture.
The emblem of the university is a sun with eleven rays, surrounded by the name of the university and its motto, "Lumina spargo" (also the name of the university review), all in yellow.
Ivan Sache, 27 December 2008
image by Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez, 23 September 2006
The Liceo Moderno Campestre is a High School located in Anapoima (Cundinamarca, Colombia),
non-official, created in 2005 by John Alexander Bejarano López,
professional from this city. The flag is builded with three
colors: green, white and blue. The description are written in
Spanish and taken by the newspaper "Moderníssimo",
published by this institute in this month, and printed by
"Ecos del Tequendama", other newspaper in the
"Consta de tres superficies horizontales, el primer color que la compone es el color verde: Símbolo de esperanza, fe y naturaleza, es el reflejo de nuestros deseos y compromisos ante la comunidad. Además, representa nuevos contextos de aprendizaje.
El color blanco, símbolo de paz y pureza, unidad y bondad, insignia de fraternidad para la Familia Modernista en el diario vivir, parte esencial en su fortalecimiento como plantel educativo.
El azul, color que representa tranquilidad y armonía, simboliza para nosotros sabiduría y conocimiento, que se adquieren a través de los procesos educativos llevados a cabo por toda la comunidad educativa".
Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez, 23 September 2006
image by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
"Gimnasio Cantillana" was founded in
February 1988 at Floridablanca, Department of Santander, by
ASPAEN ("Asociación para la Enseñenza), the organization
set up in Colombia by the Opus Dei movement
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and on a photo on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-green-red.
Blue represents the immense sky and the unlimited horizon opened by the education provided by the institute.
Green represents the high mountains surrounding the region, hope and optimism.
Red represents the power and strength of the blood of Santander, flooding for love.
Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
image resized from municpal website
"Instituto Agrìcola de Carcasí" (ITA) was founded
on 16 April 1953 (Decree No. 0991) as "Escuela Vocacional
Agrícola" at Carcasí,
Department of Santander.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the institute's website, is divided green-white by the descending diagonal with a yellow wheat stem in the middle.
Green symbolizes the fields while white symbolizes purity and the aspiration to peace.
The wheat stem represents the soil fertility and the strength and progress of the local people.
Oddly enough, the very same flag is presented as the municipal flag, with the very same description, on the municpal website.
Ivan Sache, 14 April 2009
See also: Carcasi (Santander, Colombia).
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
"Colegio de la Libertad" was founded on 5 February
1868 in the presbytery of Palmira (Department of Valle), with
classes in French, Spanish, Arithmetics, Economics and Geography.
The institute was subsequently relocated into a former colonial
tobbaco warehouse; in 1929, it was renamed "Colegio de
Cárdenas", as a tribute to the local politician Vincent de
Cárdenas (1811-1880), Senator and Governor of different
In September 2002 (Decree No. 1784), the Department of Valle split "Colegio de Cárdenas"; the former secondary seat of the institute located in the borough of Mirriñao became "Institución Educativa Cárdenas de Mirriñao", incorporating the "Benilda Caicedo", "Ricardo Nieto", "Gran Colombia" institutes and "Centro de Educación Especial Carlos Arturo Rodríguez".
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the webpage of the institute, is vertically divided crimson-white-blue, representing the religious values, purity, and the seas and heavens, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
image from <web.uautonoma.edu.co>
The Universidad Autónoma del Caribe (Autonomous University of
the Caribbean) is located in Barranquilla.
The university flag can be seen at <web.uautonoma.edu.co>:
"Al igual que el escudo, la creación de la bandera, se
remonta a los orígenes de la Universidad. Una raya transversal
de color amarillo cae sobre un fondo rojo. El centro de la
bandera de la Universidad Autónoma del Caribe, está engalanado
con el escudo.".
Ron Lahav and Eugene Ipavec, 18 February 2007
The UAC or Uniautónoma (Universidad Autónoma del Caribe) was founded on July
Its flag is seen in the following pictures: Picture 1 (Source: http://www.eduplan.us/es/executive/ ) (The flag is the second from left to right)
Picture 2 (Source: http://amisraelcolombia.org/5221-aprendiendo-a-convivir-por-ti-por-mi/silvia-guette-rectora-universidad-autonoma-del-caribe) (The flag is the second from left to right)
The flag is a horizontal yellow flag with the logo in the middle.
For further information please see: UAC (official website)
Esteban Rivera, 06 June 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 8 January 2009
"Instituto Tecnológico Carlos Hernández Yaruro"
located in the village of La Ermita, Municipality of Ocaña,
Department of Norte del Santander, was recognized by the
Department of Norte del Santander on 19 May 1997 (Decree No.
016), as the successor of an institute founded in 1945 by the
late Dr. Carlos Hernández Yaruro for the education of farmers'
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-dark red ("vino tinto", lit., "red wine").
White means purity and loyalty, commitment to conquest and preservation of peace.
Dark red means the products of effort.
Ivan Sache, 8 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
Colegio Carlos Julio Torrado Peñaranda (COLCAJUTO), located in Abrego
(Department of Norte de Santander), was founded on 6 July 1988 by Carlos Julio
Torrado Peñaranda; on 30 September 2002, Departmental Decree No. 764 created
Institución Educativa Carlos Julio Torrado Peñaranda by the merging of Colegio
Carlos Julio Torrado Peñaranda, Escuela Simón Bolívar and Escuela La Piñuela.
The flag of COLCAJUTO, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is yellow with a green triangle placed along the hoist and separated from the yellow field by two chevrons, white and blue, respectively. Green represents the aspiration to an educational project and the green pastures. White represents peace and tolerance encompassed in the educational project. Blue represents the sky and the crystalline local waters. Yellow represents light and wealth.
Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
"Escuela Colombiana de Carreras Industríales"
(ECCI), founded in 1977 in Bogotá, was recognized by the
Ministry of National Education on 25 October 1978 (Decree No.
15572) as "Escuela Colombiana de Carreras Intermedias"
and confirmed under its present name on 28 March 1985 (Decree No.
2683). ECCI provides professional technical education in
industrial mechanics, computer science, telecommunications,
environmental development, entrepreneurial development, fashion
design, tax and customs management, and international trade and
negotiation. ECCI signed on 22 September 1995 a partnership
agreement with the Santiago University of Cali.
The flag of ECCI, as shown graphically on the ECCI website, is white with a thin blue border and the emblem of the ECCI in the middle.
The emblem of ECCI shows "the sun of hope enlighting the country" over three green mounds representing the three cordilleras of Colombia. Below is placed the blue book, indeed the logo of ECCI. The border of the shield bears the foundation year and the name of the institute in black capital letters.
The logo of ECCI is a blue book, symbolizing knowledge, whose cover is quartered by a cross symbolizing the faith in Jesus and the letters "E", "C", "C" and "I" in the respective quarters.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior de Cartagena de Indías" was founded on 1 February
1848 in Cartagena de Indías (Bolívar Department).
The flag of the institute is presented graphically on the "Manuel de Convivencia" as a square flag, horizontally divided light blue-white.
Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
Law 48 issued in 1945 prescribed the foundation of four
"Colegios Mayores" of Cundinamarca (in Bogotá),
Antioquia (in Medellín), Bolívar (in Carthagena) and Cauca (in
Popayán). The most recent of the four institutes, "Colegio
Mayor del Cauca" was inaugurated on 13 November 1967 as
"Colegio Mayor de Cultura Popular del Cauca".
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is vertically divided blue-yellow-blue with an emblem in the top of the yellow stripe. The first two stripes seem to be of the same width and the third one much wider.
Yellow is the colour of the sun, of light, life, action and power. It symbolizes strength, will and stimulation. It represents the human intelligence enlightened by the divine revelation. According to Vincent Van Gogh, yellow represents "friendship and love".
Blue represents intelligence and deep emotions. It is the colour of the infinite and of the dreams. It symbolizes wiseness, loyalty, eternal truth and immortality.
The emblem represented on the flag seems to be a simplified version of the institute's official logo.
The logo is prescribed by Decree No. 019 of the Board of Directors, adopted on 1 November 2001. It represents "El Camarín" framed in a white rectangle with a blue border outlined in yellow and charged with the name of the institute in white capital letters.
"El Camarín", lit. the Cabinet, was designed in 1760 by the German architect Simon Schendherr on the facade of the second floor of the Church of the Incarnation. It represents the communication between the inside and outside words. "El Camarín" has three windows, two rectangle on the sides and one circular in the main axis, symbolizing a large eye always watching the ever changing cosmos.
Ivan Sache, 16 December 2008
"Corporación Universitaria Autonoma del
Cauca", recognized by the Ministry of National
Education on 7 April 2003 (Decree No. 677), is the legal sucessor
of "Corporación UCICA", founded in 1979 in Popayán
and recognized by the Ministry of National Education in 1984
(Decree No. 13002).
The flag of the university, as shown graphically on the university's website, is blue with four thin yellow stripes in the lower part of the flag and the emblem of the university in the middle. The emblem of the university is a blue shield with stylized yellow letters "C" and "A" surrounding a blue sphere. The shield is surmonted by the name of the university in yellow letters.
Ivan Sache, 18 December 2008
image by Carlos Thompson, 22 March 2003
Acording to the site of the Universidad del Cauca <www.unicauca.edu.co>,
the flag has 12 stripes.
From the site: "Formada por doce barras azules y rojas de igual tamano, alternadas y colocadas perpendicularmente al asta, fue adoptada en la misma fecha y por el mismo Acuerdo de Alta Corporación Universitaria, con ocasión de conmemorarse un ano más de su fundación del Alma Mater." [Formed by twelve equalsized stripes alterned blue and red, perpendicular to the hoist, was adopted the same date (November 7, 1922) and by the same Agreement of High University Corporation (Consejo Directivo Universitario) in conmemoration of one more year of the fundation of the Alma Mater.]
Carlos Thompson, 22 March 2003
Universidad del Cauca was founded in Popayán on 11 November
1827. Among his famous alumni are Presidents of the Republic
José Hilario López Valdes (1849-1853), Ezequiel Hurtado (1864),
Julián Trujillo (1878-1880) and Guillermo León Valencia
The flag in real use is shown in several scenes of the video celebrating the university's 180th anniversary.
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2010