Last modified: 2013-03-19 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | quata | triband: horizontal (red | white | blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
A horizontal tricolor, red-white-blue, with the municipal coat of arms
overall and the name of the city at the bottom. The coat of arms portrays a
torch, church, book and quill, plowed fields, and beef steer.
Joseph McMillan, 21 March 2003
The municipality of Quatá (12,828 inhabitants in 2010; 65,274 ha) is located in northwestern São Paulo State, 500 km of São Paulo.
Quatá was first settled in 1887 by Manoel Pereira Alvim and his two sons; they planted 2,000 coffee trees, the first ever grown in the region. The colonists were killed by the natives, who burned down the farms and the coffee trees. Roads and plots were delimited in the region in the beginning of the 20th century. On 10 October 1916, plots were acquired by Paulo Barreto, Luiz Pereira Barreto, Luiz Pereira Filho, Aquino de Castro and Luiz de Vasconcelos. Barreto established an estate and planted 10,000 coffee trees. The district of Quatá was established by Law No. 1,998 on 18 December 1924. The municipality of Quatá was established by Law No. 2,073 of 4 November 1925, covering half of the territory of the old municipality of Conceição de Monte Alegre, and inaugurated on 16 January 1926. Quatá was named for the characteristic scream ("qua ... tá") of a local macaque.
http://www.quata.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
A horizontal tricolor, red-white-blue, with the municipal coat of arms overall and the name of the city at the bottom. The coat of arms portrays a torch, church, book and quill, plowed fields, and beef steer.
The explanation of the coat of arms is the following. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The scroll, with the yellow and green colours of the national flag, is charged with the motto "FIDEI ET LABORIS SIGNUM", meaning "Sign of Faith and Labour". The shield is supported dexter by a branch of cotton and sinister by a branch of coffee, representing the economical power of the municipality. The church is a "Sign of Faith", highlighting the faith of the people. The open book is a symbol of knowledge. The plow fields represents dedication to labour. The beef steer is the symbol of cattle breeding. The torch enlightens and guides people on the path of truth and democratic liberty.
http://camarapprudente.sp.gov.br/historia/hist_oeste/cidades/quata/simbolos.html - "Enciclopédia Digital de Oeste Paulista" website
Ivan Sache, 1 March 2013