Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | cascavel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A white flag bearing the municipal arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 11 July 2011
The municipality of Cascavel (289,339 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the
5th most populous municipality in Paraná; 2,100 sq. km) is the capital of
western Paraná, being located 500 km of Curitiba. Cascavel was settled in the
late 1910s by colonists from São Paulo exploiting yerba maté. On 28 March
1928, José Silvério de Oliveira established a shop on the crossroads of
trails used by yerba maté collectors, cowboys and troops, which was the
first step into the growth of the village. In the 1930s, timber exploitation
superseded yerba maté collection, causing the immigration of several families
from Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. Most colonists were of Polish,
German and Italian origin. After the exhaustion of timber resource, Cascavel
turned to agriculture, aviculture and cattle-breeding, still the main
sources of income. Named Cascavel in 1936, the new village was renamed
Aparecida dos Portos by the parish priest, without any support of the
inhabitants. Accordingly, the district of Cascavel, part of Foz de Iguaçu,
was established by Municipal Law No. 7,573 of 20 October 1938. The
municipality of Cascavel was established on 14 December 1951, but the Law was
signed by the State Governor only on 14 December 1952. Municipal Law No.
5,689 of 20 December 2010 prescribes the official date of foundation of Cascavel as the 14 December 1952. The local tradition says that the town was
named for the rattlesnake ("cascavel"). A group of early colonists allegedly
coined the name after having found a big rattlesnake nest near a river.
The flag of Cascavel is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 5,225 of 22 May 2009, granting an official status to the "provisory flag" already in use. The flag has the same dimensions as the national flag and is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The Law also prescribes blue and white as the official colors of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Cascavel is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 243 of 9 October 1963. The shield is of modern style, surmounted by a four-towered mural crown representing the municipality status. The shield is "Azure a bordure argent a rattlesnake or ensigned by a crown of the same cantonned with four stars argent. Blue means justice and vigilance. The rattlesnake (Portuguese, "cascavel") makes the arms canting; or symbolizes a rich and generous town, economically strong. The crown or represents the patron saint of the municipality, Our Lady of the Apparition, protecting the religious feeling and prosperity of the inhabitants. The four stars argent stand for peace, purity, integrity and gentleness to be expressed by the inhabitants. The bordure of the shield represents rivers Piquiri and Iguaçu that fertilize the soil of the municipality. The green ornament ("fitão") supporting the shield recalls that the local soil is conducive to various crops and allows profuse harvests.
Ivan Sache, 13 February 2012