Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: maranhao | barra do cordo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 11 May 2010
image based on http://www.barradocorda.ma.gov.br/cidade/simbolos.php
A horizontal tricolor, green-yellow-black, with the municipal shield centerd on the yellow stripe.
Official website at
http://www.barradocorda.ma.gov.br. The flag is shown on the official site,
Dirk Schönberger, 11 May 2010
The municipality of Barra do Corda (82,692 inhabitants in 2010; 7,962 sq. km)
is located in the geographic center of Maranhão, 425 km of São Luis. The
municipality is watered by rivers Corda - its namesake - and Mearim. More
than 20% of its arable lands are used by the Merck company to grow jaborandi (Pilocarpus microphyllus Stapf ex Holm) and fava d'anta
mollis Benth.), two trees rich in compounds used in pharmacy.
Barra do Corda was founded on 3 May 1835 by Manoel Rodrigues de Melo Uchoa, as Santa Cruz da Barra do Corda. The settlement was subsequently renamed Barra do Rio das Cordas and, eventually, Barra do Corda. The district of Barra do Corda was created by Provincial Law No. 368 of 24 July 1854 as a part of the municipality of Chapada. The municipality of Barra do Corda was established by Provincial Law No. 342 of 31 May 1894 and inaugurated on 28 June 1894. The district of Curador, founded on 9 June 1907, was made a separate municipality by State Decree-Law No. 820 of 31 December 1943. The district of Boa Esperanša do Mearim, founded by State Law No. 269 of 31 December 1948, was made a separate municipality, renamed Esperantinópolis, by State Law No. 1,139 of 27 April 1954. The district of Jenipapo dos Resplandes, founded by State Law No. 269 of 31 December 1948, was made a separate municipality, renamed Fernando Falcão, by State Law No. 6,201 of 10 November 1994. The municipality of Barra do Corda is made today of the two districts of Barra do Corda and Papagaio.
The flag of Barra do Corda is made of three equal horizontal stripes, green, yellow and black. representing, respectively, the exuberant vegetation covering the municipal territory, the fertility of the soil, and the participation of the race, according to the sociological study of Barra do Corda. The municipal coat of arms, on a white background, is placed in the central stripe. The arms show rice, the symbol of faith [a black cross] and the prototype of the local culture.
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2012