This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Avellaneda District (Buenos Aires Province, Argentina)

Partido de Avellaneda

Last modified: 2015-07-28 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: avellaneda | partido de avellaneda |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[No flag]
This district has no flag

See also: Other sites:

About the district

The Partido of Avellaneda is located next to the City of Buenos Aires and the Río de la Plata. It is 52 km² and it had 328,980 inhabitants in the last census (2001).

Its main economical activities are industry and commerce. In Avellaneda there are oil refineries, metallurgic and naval industries.

The history of the area started in 1580 with the second foundation of the City of Buenos Aires. The present day Avellaneda started as suburbs of the city. The Partido de Barracas al Sud (the first name of the district) was officially created in 1852. In 1904, it took its present name to honor XIX Century Argentine President Nicolás Avellaneda.

Two of the most important sporting clubs and soccer teams from Argentina are from Avellaneda: Racing Club, and Club Atlético Independiente.
Francisco Gregoric, 10 Apr 2008

Other sites:

No current official local flag

This district has no flag.
Francisco Gregoric, 10 Apr 2008

Emblem in the 1950s

During General Perón’s second government (1952-1955), some elements of the Peronist emblem were adopted for the regional coat of arms of Avellaneda Municipality.

After Perón was deposed in 1955, all these emblems were forbidden by the Military Government.
Francisco Gregoric, 16 Apr 2005

Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.