Last modified: 2011-06-10 by antónio martins
Keywords: ouarzazate | castle (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Ouarzazate was built in 1928 as a garrison city. It is located at 1160 m a.s.l. on the crossing of the valleys of Dra and Dades rivers. Therefore, it is the starting point for touristic trips in the Moroccan South. Ouarzazate per se has no specific interests except its huge number of hotels and its international airport. There is no medina or ancient city, the only building of interest being the kasba (fortified palace) of Taourirt, one of the residences of El Glaoui. The kasba is probably represented on the coat of arms and flags of Ouarzazate.
Thami el Glaoui was the chief of the Glaoua tribe in Upper-Atlas mountains and Pasha of Marrakesh. During the French Protectorate (1912-1956), he supported France and opposed to Sultan Mohammed V (1927-1962), who supported Moroccan nationalism and independence. El Glaoui contributed to the overthrow and exile of Mohammed V in 1953. When the Sultan was reestablished in 1955, El Glaoui had to present very humiliating public apologizes and died shortly after. All the goods owned by El Glaoui’s family were confiscated and the family itself was scattered.
The city of Ouarzazate has now c. 20 000 inhabitants and lives mostly from (mass) tourism and cinema industry. Several movies have been made in the scenic landscapes surrounding the city, which is now nicknamed “the African Hollywood” or “Hollywood-in-the-Sands”.
Ivan Sache, 28 Oct 2001
The provincial flags of 1968-1976
are of a uniform pattern. Each is square with the arms of the
province surmounted by a red schwenkel bearing a green
pentagram, representing the national flag.
Jens Pattke, 13 Jun 2001
A red fort on a gold shield is the symbol of this province.
Jens Pattke, 21 Jun 2001
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.