Last modified: 2011-08-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: karlovac | anchors: 2 (white) | sun (yellow) | moon (white) | town: fortified | mermaids: 2 |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Karlovac - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 August 2009
The symbols of Karlovac are described in the Town Statutes Statut Grada Karlovca, adopted on 5 May 1994 by the Town Assembly and published on 6 May 1994 in the Town official gazette Glasnik Grada Karlovca, no. 4.
The current Statutes, Statut Grada Karlovca (text), adopted on 7 July 2009 by the Town Assembly and published on 16 July 2009 in Glasnik Grada Karlovca, No. 7, repeat the description of the symbols in Articles 5 and 6. A corrected version of the Statutes (text) was published on 8 October 2009 in Glasnik Grada Karlovca, No. 8.
The symbols were designed by Zoran Živković.
The flag is cyan (bluish-green) with the coat of arms in the middle. Cyan is the traditional colour of Karlovac, also officialized in 1994.
Željko Heimer, 24 December 2009
Coat of arms of Karlovac - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 August 2009, based on the official drawing obtained from Zoran Živković
The coat of arms of Karlovac, originally granted on 8 October 1781 by King Joseph II, consists of an oval shield divided per fess, the upper part per pale. The first is checky gules and argent (Croatia), the second gules, two anchors argent in saltire, and the third contains a landscape showing the fortified town of Karlovac on a green hill between two silver conjoining rivers (Kupa and Korana), in the chief are the sun in splendor or and the moon increscent argent. In escutcheon or the cypher of Joseph II sable. The coat of arms is crowned or and supported by two mermaids proper.
Željko Heimer, 15 August 2009