Last modified: 2012-08-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: tetri tskaro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag and arms of Tetri Tskaro - Images communicated by The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 20 January 2011
The town of Tetri Tskaro (lit., White Spring; (25,354 inhabitants in 2002)) is located in the Kverno Kartli Region (southern Georgia).
Jens Pattke, 2 September 2010
The flag and arms of Tetri Tskaro are prescribed by Decree No. 13/2, adopted on 26 December 2008 by the Municipal Council.
The flag is divided blue-red by a white diagonal stripe running from the lower fly to the upper hoist. The colors were taken from the arms, "Quarterly, 1. Azure a sword and a sling per saltire all or, 2. Gules a banner argent charged with a cross gules, 3. Gules three bends sinister wavy argent, 4. Azure a bow and arrow or per bend. The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown argent fimbriated sable. Under the shield a scroll argent fimbriated sable charged with the name of the town in Georgian capital letters sable."
The colors of the arms are based on historical documents from the
18th-19th centuries, especially the two atlases published in 1745-1746
by Prince Vakhushti (Vakhushti Batonishvili, 1696-1757).
The charges represent the Battle of Didgori, which took place on the present day's territory of Tetri Tskaro.
Source: The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia (website).
The Battle of Didgori, won on 12 August 1121 by King David the Builder (1073-1125, crowned in 1089) over the Seljuk Turks, allowed the reconquest of Tbilisi the next year and the establishment of the Royal power there, inaugurating the Golden Age of medieval Georgia. The "miraculous victory", part of the official historiography, is celebrated every year in the Didgoroba (Didgori Day) Festival.
Ivan Sache, 4 June 2012