Last modified: 2010-03-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: aude | languedoc-roussillon | cross: toulouse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the General Council of Aude - Image by Ivan Sache, 24 September 2009
Traditional provinces: Languedoc, Comté de Foix
Bordering departments: Ariège, Haute-Garonne, Hérault, Pyrénées-Orientales, Tarn
Area: 6,139 km2
Population (2009): 350,198 inhabitants
Sous-préfectures: Limoux, Narbonne
Subdivisions: 3 arrondissements, 35 cantons, 438 communes.
The department is named after river Aude (220 km), tributary of Mediterranean Sea.
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2009
The flag of the General Council of Aude is hoisted in front of the building of the General Council, located at Carcassonne.
The flag is white with the logo of the General Council, "CONSEIL GENERAL" being omitted.
The logo of the General Council of Aude is vertically divided blue-
orange (c. 1:2) with a white "A" in the middle and an orange, filled
Cross of Toulouse in canton. "AUDE" is written in black letters below.
The Cross of Toulouse recalls that the current territory of Aude, especially its southern part, was a Cathar stronghold during the Albigensian Crusade and the place of the "Castles' War". Among the "Cathar Castles" located today in Aude - mostly ruined - are Puivert and Termes, seized in 1210, Peyrepertuse, seized in 1240, and Quéribus, the last Cathar fortress, seized in 1255. The last known Cathar "parfait" (~ saint), Guilhem Bélibaste, was burned at the stake in Villerouge-Termenès in 1321.
Ivan Sache, 24 September 2009