Last modified: 2010-10-08 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: spain | andalusia | cadiz | san josé del valle | bend (green) | star: 8 points (green) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Wikipedia User:Nethunter, 11 Nov 2008
The municipality of San José del Valle (4,403 inhabitants in 2009; 22,382 ha) is located in the center of the Province of Cádiz, 60 km east of the provincial capital.
San José originates in a Muslim fortress known as Hisn Tambul, probably built on the remains of a former Roman fortress; in the 13th century, this was a Muslim stronghold isolated among lands already reconquered by the Christians.
Reconquered in the beginning of the 14th century, the fortress and the neighbouring village were transferred in 1333 to Jerez by Royal Order. The burghers from Jerez used it as a part of the defense system of the town and did not develop a permanent settlement based on agriculture. Settlement of the area started at the end of the 16th century only, peaking in 1695 with the building of a Carmelite monastery, closed in 1835. In the 18th-19th centuries, colonists were allocated pieces of land by the Jerez Council; the Rural Colony of San José del Valle was founded in 1878 by Vicente and Rafael Roméo García The villagers asked for municipal status in 1939, which was eventually granted in 1995, when San José del Valle seceded from Jerez and became the 44th municipality in the Province of Cádiz.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 05 Apr 2010
The flag and arms of San José del Valle were approved on 21 January 2010 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 27 January 2010 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them on 2 March 2010 by a Decree published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 53 on 18 March 2010.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
- Coat of arms:
Spanish shield. Vert a dove argent beaked or holding in her beak a flower argent slipped or, a base azure fessy wavy argent. The shield surmounted with a closed Royal Spanish crown.
Rectangular flag in proportions 3:2 (length to hoist), white with a green diagonal stripe of width 1/10 of the flag hoist; in the upper canton of the hoist, a green eight-pointed star, placed near the hoist and the upper edge of the flag.
Source: BOJA No. 53, p. 46, 18 Mar 2010
The flag and arms of San José del Valle were originally approved on 3 July 1995 by the Municipal Council, as published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 124 on 23 September 1995. While the description of the arms was more verbose, including the 5 x 6 proportions and a detailed description of the crown, the description of the flag was quite approximate, stating that the proportions of the flag were approximatively 1 x 1.5 and that the width of the green stripe was at least 1/10 of the flag hoist.
Source: BOJA No. 124, 23 Sep 1995
A black and white photo shown by "Diario de Cádiz" is captioned "The villagers of San José del Valle displayed their flag the day they seceded from Jerez."
Source: "Diario de Cádiz," 19 Mar 2010
Ivan Sache, 05 Apr 2010