Last modified: 2011-02-25 by editor unassigned
Keywords: holzminden |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Dec 2007
Flag adopted 12 Oct 1951
The arms were granted on 24 July 1950.
The arms show the lion of the Counts of Everstein, who ruled the area and founded the city of Holzminden in the 14th century. Some parts of the district belonged until 1409 to the Lords of Homburg. From the end of the 13th century the Dukes of Braunschweig gradually acquired the whole district, but their arms (also a lion) were not included in the arms. The wavy bar shows the Weser river. See also the arms of Hameln-Pyrmont County.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.