This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

São José dos Campos, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-03-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | sao jose dos campos | stripes: 13 | stripes (blue) | stripes (white) | cogwheel | stars: 3 | stars (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

São José dos Campos, SP 
(Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 1 January 2013

See also:

Other sites:

About the Flag of São José dos Campos

The municipality of São José dos Campos (636,876 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the 7th most populous municipality in the State; 10,998 ha) is located in Paraíba Valley, 100 km of São Paulo. The municipality is made of the districts of São José dos Campos (capital; 468,325 inh.), Eugênio Melo (68,121 inh.) and São Francisco Xavier (2,867 inh.).

São José dos Campos was settled at the end of the 16th century by the Jesuits, who established the São José dos Campos "aldeia" to settle and evangelize the natives. Expelled in 1611, the Jesuits came back years later and established a new settlement 15 km away from the original one, on the site of the today's main church of the town. The Jesuits were eventually expelled from Brazil in 1759 and the "aldeias" were confiscated by the Portuguese government. The town of São José do Paraíba was established on 27 July 1767. The sanatorium "Vicentina Aranha", the best in the country, was inaugurated in São José in 1924. The Vargas government invested to transform the town into a health resort; from 1935 to 1958, the town was ran by a "sanitary" Mayor appointed by the State government. The industrialization of the town started in 1950 with the set up of the Air and Space Technical Center, today the Department of Air and Space Science and Technology. - Municipal website

The flag of São José dos Campos is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 655 of 2 February 1960. The flag was designed by João Vitor Guzzo Strauss, then student at Colégio João Cursino, who won the public contest organized by the Municipal administration. The flag is made of 13 stripes, in turn blue and white. In the middle is placed a golden cogwheel symbolizing the ever increasing wealth of the municipality. Inside the wheel, the white fess wavy represents river Paraíba do Sul. The three white stars represent the three districts of São José dos Campos, Eugênio de Melo and São Francisco Xavier. The 13 cogs of the wheel symbolize the close interaction between the State and the municipality. - Municipal website

Photos of the flag 

- corrected image, original at 
Ivan Sache, 1 January 2013