Last modified: 2010-11-26 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sergipe (brazil) | brazil | star (white) | stars: 5 |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
2:3 by Joseph McMillan
Officially adopted 19 October 1920, restored 3 December 1952
The flag of Sergipe is based on a design of José Rodrigues Bastos Coelho, and is called the
"Sergipano." It was designed around the end of the nineteenth Century and adopted officially on
19 October 1920. The first design was modified with respect to number of stars and their arrangement in the
blue rectangle by a decree of 30 October 1951. Initially the stars represented the rivers of the state, but after
the 1951 decree they represented the municipalities. A decree of 3 December 1952 reestablished the original design,
in which the stars represent the state's river estuaries: Aracaju (or Sergipe), São Francisco, Real
(or Estância), Vassa Barris (or São Cristovão), and Japaratuba.
Jaume Ollé 2 July 1996
The official state government site,
www.governo.se.gov.br, identifies the five rivers represented by the stars
as the Sergipe, Vaza-Barris, São Francisco, Poxim, and Cotinguiba.
Joe McMillan, 22 January 2004
2:3 by Jaume Ollé
In 1937, all state flags and symbols were abolished by the dictatorship of Getúlio Vargas, but the
ban was lifted in 1946. In 1951, when the Sergipe legislature got around to restoring the
state symbols, it decided to change the canton to contain a star for every municipality in the state.
In 1952, the flag reverted to the five star design of 1920.
Joseph McMillan, 15 August 2002
There were 42 municipalities in the state at this time, and so the most logical arrangement of the stars
is 6 x 7, but this is not certain; the stars could also have been arranged in some other way.
Falko Schmidt, 15 August 2002
by Joseph McMillan
Some states had old maritime ensigns in the 19th century, including Sergipe.
Jaume Ollé, 8 December 1999
The French Navy's Album de Pavillons of 1858 shows
a set of galhardetes
(normally translated pennants) flown by Brazilian merchant ships to indicate their province of origin.
The galhardetes were rectangular, approximately 1:6. They were all simple geometric
patterns, more or less like signal flags.
Joseph McMillan, 17 April 2001