Last modified: 2008-06-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: burdinne |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Burdinne - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 24 February 2006
The municipality of Burdinne (2,845 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 3,258 ha) is located
in the region of Hesbaye, near Huy. The municipality of Burdinne is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Burdinne, Hannêche, Lamontzée, Marneffe and Oteppe (including Vissoul since 1952).
Burdinne is the seat of the Parc Naturel des Vallées de la Burdinale et de la Méhaigne (11,000 ha).
Burdinne (626 inhabitants in 1976) was mentioned in the XIth century in
written sources, but the place was most probably already settled in the
Gallo-Roman times. The domain seems to have belonged in the XIIth
century to the Chapter of the abbey of Andenne as a part of the
Provostship of Andenne, ran by the feudal Court of Namur. Philippe
d'Avin bought Burdinne in 1642 and the domain remained in the same
family until 1784. In 1321, Count of Namur Jean I was defeated in
Burdinne by the troops of Liège.
Hannêche (224 inh. in 1976) was already settled in the Neolithic, and
was mentioned as a domain owned by the St. Lambert Chapter of Liège in
1152. The dispute between the Prince-Bishop of Liège and the Count of
Namur for the rights on Hannêche was solved in 1411: Hannêche was
allocated to Namur.
Lamontzée (206 inh. in 1976) was part of the Principality of Liège from 1225 to the French Revolution. However, the castle of Nuwecourt, part of the village, depended on the feudal Court of Namur.
Marneffe (592 inh. in 1976) was also part of the Principality of Liège. It belonged to the Berlaymont family from 1718 to the French Revolution.
Oteppe (573 inh. in 1976) was mentioned in 1034. Roman tombs were found in the village. The village was part of the Principality of Liège.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 24 February 2006
The municipal flag of Burdinne is horizontally divided red-white with a
According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones, the flag follows the proposal made by the Heraldry and Vexillology Council of the French Community:
Coupé émanché rouge sur blanc de six pièces.
The flag is a banner of the second and third quarters of the proposed
municipal coat of arms:
Écartelé, au premier et au quatrième d'argent à la fasce de gueules entre deux burèles du même; au deuxième et au troisième d'argent au chef émanché de gueules de trois pièces.
These are the arms of the Avin family, bearing the arms of Ville and Elzée quartered.
Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 24 February 2006